Saturday, December 31, 2005

Terryl on Terrell

Brothers Rice and Bass:

In the spirit of community, please allow me to offer a different opinion about Terrell Owens. From where I sit, I am in total support of the actions taken by the Philadelphia Eagles against Terrell Owens, I do not believe he has been victimized, and I think Senator Specter was out of line with his comments.

As you know, different professions have different policies and codes of ethics. For example, professors, nurses, and air traffic controllers all have different definitions of what is appropriate or inappropriate. In pro sports, a team is not allowed to discuss contracts or playing for them with an athlete that is under contract with another team. This is called “tampering”. Not long ago, Minnesota Timberwolves Executive, Kevin McHale, was suspended because it was proven that he tampered with another player while that player was under contract. Terrell Owens is currently under contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, therefore it is considered “tampering” when Cowboy’s owner, Jerry Jones, says we wants Terrell to play for his team.

Emotions aside, it’s important to remember that Terrell Owens has been suspended for three main reasons:
1. He violated the terms of the NFL labor agreement,
2. He violated the terms of his own contract, and
3. He committed several acts deemed “destructive and continuing threat,” most notably starting a fight with another player in his locker room.

Independent arbitrator, Richard Bloch, heard testimony from both sides and ruled to uphold the suspension against Mr. Owens stating, "no violation of the labor agreement inherent in the club's decision to pay Mr. Owens, but not to permit him to play or practice due to the nature of his conduct and its destructive and continuing threat to the team."

As a former football player, a former football coach, and an African-American man, I find Terrell’s behavior disturbing. Our bigoted society has countless examples of people being victimized by the system, but this is not one of them. On more than one occasion, I have not been  permitted to earn a salary because I was at the mercy of a malevolent oppressor and I consider it an insult to anyone that has ever been in this position to call Terrell Owens a victim.

Terrell Owens continues to get paid his full salary of several million dollars (minus the loss of pay for the 4 games he was suspended and possibly some of his signing bonus) so it is inaccurate to say that he has been denied an opportunity to earn a living. I am in disagreement with people like Jesse Jackson who are supporting Terrell Owens in this case and with Gene Upshaw who has vowed to fire the arbitrator based upon this ruling.

Sometimes people are right and sometime people are wrong. As a social justice advocate, I try to approach my life with integrity and consistency. I have a proven history of standing with others when I think they are right, but I also have a history of respectfully disagreeing with others when I think they are wrong. I respect Mr. Owens’s humanity, but do not respect his behavior.

On this issue, this Terryl thinks that Terrell was wrong!
--Terryl

PS. I love you both and am thankful we live in a country where we can respectfully disagree.

************************************************
Terryl J. Ross, Ph.D.
MOSAIC President
tjross@myuw.net
************************************************

"The greatest thing about planting a tree is knowing that some day someone else will be able to enjoy its shade."
--Barbara Walker

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terryl on Terrell:

Terryl, I have to agree but I fear that I'm biased on two counts. First of course because I'm your younger brother and if that wasn't enough...I'm an Eagles fan (actually a card carrying member of the Official Donnavan McNabb Fan Club where all proceeds go to a local Philly youth charity). In 1978 I became an official Philadelphia Eagles fan. You might recall the '78 team. If memory serves, they were 9-7, coached by Dick (coaching by emotion) Vermeil and Commanded by Ron "Jaws" Jaworski. Who could also forget Running Back Wilbert Montgomery and WR Harold Carmichael...shall I go on or do you care to read for yourself Eagles 1978?

The last Eagles team to get to the SuperBowl was the 1980 team of the same cast mentioned for '78 (they lost to the Raiders 10-27). That is until the 2004-05 team coached by Andy Reid, commanded by Donnavan McNabb led the team back only to lose again (this time to the Great Patriots 21-24). The Eagles offense complimented by Running Back Brian Westbrook and WR Terrell Owens exposed defenses to a 13-3 record. For a moment there, it was looking pretty good. No excuses...they lost the big game again. It was a team effort and they all had a lot of work to do to try to get back. No doubt, it would be a daunting journey since they have been the premier team for the past 4 seasons. So what happens less than one year later? They end their season early with one of the worst records in the league. Sure, Donnavan could have performed better. Of course Andy should have used Brian Westbrook more often. Still, the guy I think that could have given this team a spark was the one guy that threw the QB 'under the bus'. Our own T.O. The organization took the risk to get him because he was one of the best Receivers the NFL has ever seen (of course that 'freak' Randy Moss will always be a better talent). I supported the decision 100% and I also knew that the deal could turn on the Eagles faster than you can say "Drew Rosenhaus". Look, TO made a deal with the Eagles and decided he wanted more money. I can dig that. He wasn't the only athelete getting paid 'bank' and deciding that he's not getting any younger so 'why not get more?" I can dig it, really! My problem isn't the sit-ups in the driveway, it's not even the arrogance...hell, I love arrogance! My issue is that there are few players who will ever have the opportunity to carry an entire city quite like the opportunity TO had this year. I mean Philly fan was ready to give him the key to NYC! So what did TO do? He went TO!!! He thought only about himself and limited the Eagles threat and allowed other teams to pick the Offense apart. I think that he let his team down by not keeping his mind on the game. TO will play again because he is seriously talented. But TO will have to look deep down to justify his actions this year. Some of the Eagles players still have his back and that actually makes me optimistic that TO has some redeemable quality. All I'm saying is what you do before the season is your business but when it's time to play and go to work. You handle your business. I'm still glad we picked him up after all that has happened but now it's time to go! Good luck making your money TO!!! Oh, and stay the hell out of Philly!

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home